The Sky’s the Limit…
The Shop! MaRC Program is the industry’s only globally recognized credential that keeps retail individuals current on retail environments and experiences. This extensive and intense certification program encompasses the strategic and tactical aspects of being a supplier to the retail industry to give participants a competitive edge.
As the trade association focused on enhancing retail environments and experiences, Shop! is committed to providing relevant, high quality, career-enhancing professional development programs that directly address the specific needs of our industry.
Although the career paths may be diverse—ranging from sales to purchasing, store planning, shopper marketing and more—a foundational knowledge of the way our industry works is essential to each.
Successful completion of the MaRC credentialing process demonstrates understanding of all phases of the Shop! Value Cycle, which outlines the full spectrum of activities that drive shopper purchases at retail.
The Certification Process
Register for the MaRC Program
- Register for the MaRC program ($150 for Shop! members, $250 for non-members).
- After you register, you must wait six weeks before taking the exam.
Purchase the Exam Prep book
- Purchase and download the official program text, MaRC Examination Prep.
- The textbook is delivered electronically. Upon purchasing the book ($150 for Shop! members, $250 for non-members), you’ll receive an email with the instructions for downloading and opening the book.
- The MaRC exam is based on the contents of this textbook, which was authored by retail industry subject matter experts. Preview the book’s Table of Contents here.
Register to take the Exam
- Six weeks after you register for the MaRC program, you may register for the exam. ($300 for Shop! members, $400 for non-members). After you have submitted your payment, the Shop! Education Manager will contact you to schedule your exam window.
- The exam is offered in February, May, August, and November.
Please download the MaRC Candidate Handbook for more detailed information about the MaRC application process.
Group-rate discounts are available to companies who register five or more candidates. Download the MaRC Group Registration form for details.
About the Exam
The MaRC certification exam includes 100 questions based on the content of the 2017 edition MaRC Exam Prep book. The Exam Content Outline is distributed equally among five domains of Research, Design, Build, Market, and Evaluate. Candidates must achieve an overall score of 80% or higher to pass the exam and achieve the MaRC certification.
The exam is closed-book and two-hours in length. The exam is delivered and proctored online by Shop! vendors QuestionMark and ProctorFree. Once you’ve registered for the exam and confirmed your exam window dates with Shop!, you may login to the ProctorFree system to take your exam at any time during your assigned exam window. Your computer must meet ProctorFree’s “system check” requirements, including an onboard camera and microphone.
For more information about the online exam session regulations and requirements, please download the document, “Taking your MaRC Exam.”
Why Become Certified?
The MaRC certification is a culmination of my professional experience in such a dynamic environment. Personally, it has assisted in building my brand within the organization and professionally, this serves as an extension of my knowledge, expertise, and willingness to adapt to the ever-changing marketing-at-retail landscape and shopper behaviors.
We value the MaRC program as a part of our career development program. To advance at Rapid and to provide the greatest value to our clients, we encourage our employees to prepare for and pass the MaRC as it confirms our understanding of all aspects of in-store marketing.
Shop! would like to thank Menasha Corporation for being our education benefactor.