Webinar: Legal Issues in Retail Environments
Explore the trending legal issues impacting the retail environments industry, including:
- Privacy Rules – The GDPR, California Consumer Privacy Act, and biometric privacy regulations are significantly impacting how retailers deploy technology in both the brick-and-mortar and online settings. Find out what retailers and their suppliers need to know about these regulations.
- ADA Compliance – Over the past few years, numerous retailers have been hit with lawsuits under the Americans with Disabilities alleging that their website and/or in-store kiosks are not ADA compliant. With the rise of online shopping and buy online pickup in store (“BOPIS”) programs, retailers and their suppliers need to understand these issues to better serve their customers and mitigate risks.
- Leveraging Intangible Assets – Recent studies have shown that as much as 85% of enterprise value is driven by intangible assets (e.g., patents, trademarks, trade secrets, and know-how). To maximize long-term enterprise value, it’s critical to understand legal strategies for maximizing these assets.
- Protecting Customer Relationships – Businesses often suffer significant setbacks from the departure of a key employee with sensitive company information or a key customer relationship. Learn what you can do to protect yourself from these risks.
- Bankruptcy Strategies – With the uptick in retail bankruptcies (e.g. Sears, Toys R Us, Brookstone, The Walking Company, etc.), suppliers in the retail industry need to be proactive to minimize losses in the event a customer files for bankruptcy protection.
After attending this session you will be able to:
- Identify the trending legal issues affecting the retail environments industry;
- Understand how emerging retail technologies are impacted by state and federal regulations;
- Recognize trends in privacy regulations and their impact on retail;
- Understand strategies to protect your business’s intangible assets that drive long-term value;
- Understand strategies to legally protect valuable employees, customer relationships, and confidential company information; and
- Understand strategies to protect your business from the bankruptcy filing of a key customer relationship.
Speaker: Richard Tilghman, Nixon Peabody, LLP